Monday 10 December 2007

Starvation

Dear Lord,

How your heart must grieve to see not only the suffering of the hungry, but the complacency of those who have enough to eat. Father I pray that you would disturb all the world on this subject of starvation and malnutrition, until poverty, hunger and ignorance really are history. But Lord, where there are the resources now to feed all the people adequately, I pray that you in your righteousness and mercy will move hearts and minds so that inequality of any kind does not keep women and children hungry.

Thank you for the abundance that I enjoy. I pray that more and more people in our world will come to enjoy such abundance. I pray for farmers everywhere that they may learn how to cultivate their fields without stripping their fertility. I pray especially for subsistence farmers to be able to grow the food they need and to have a surplus to sell. I pray for fair distribution of food globally and locally. And I pray that you would forgive me the little I do to address the huge problem of hunger in our world, and show me how I could make more of a contribution.

God's justice asks:

When I was hungry, did you feed me?

More than 800 million people in the world are malnourished.
2 billion lack essential vitamins and minerals in their diet
Women and small children are disproportionately affected.

For detailed information, he following web sites are relevant:

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/education/resources/making_a_meal_of_it/
(See "Background information about food and hunger)

www.care.org/campaigns/world-hunger/facts.asp

www.thp.org/women/asianenigma.htm

No comments: