Friday 2 November 2007

Women in Purdah

Dear Lord, please give us understanding hearts and ears that listen, so that we may learn to see the reasons why some cultures want to wrap their women in purdah, and can debate with its proponents about the costs to women and to society when women are restricted in this way.

I pray Father that you would release every human being from any restriction or oppression that prevents him or her from enjoying a full, active and useful life, in which all their valuable potentialities can develop.

The challenge for today is to keep a log for 48 hours noting every time you leave home and what you did. Then to reflect how different your life would be if you were confined to your home.

For me the answer is:
  • going to work
  • visiting a friend
  • shopping (twice)
  • going to take part in Youth Church

Without the ability to go out, and to do so alone if necessary, I could not be economically independent. I could not contribute my time and talents to help people in need and to add my labour to the local economy. I would not be a taxpayer, so the nation would also be the poorer. I would be unable to make any friends at all ouside of my family circle, or if I did, I would find it very hard to maintain any meaningful contact and relationship with them. I would have to pay for food and other necessities to be delivered, and it would be hard for me to come by new ideas about what to buy and from where. I would not be able to be part of the church's ministry for young people.

On the other side of the coin, I have to admit that British men are generally respectful and egalitarian, and do not pester a woman just because they see her alone in a public place. I know this is not so in all cultures. Thank you God that the culture where I live is firmly on the side of equality and diversity.

No comments: