Monday 17 February 2014

Great Gypsy Artists – Jimmy Rosenberg

Jimmy Rosenberg is a talented Dutch guitarist from a Sinti/Roma background, who achieved international recognition while barely in his teens. There is a wonderfully warm and affectionate tribute by Jon Larsen on facebook, which could hardly be bettered.  Jon includes a link to a wonderful musical archive, which will interest jazz guitar buffs. 

For my part, I found the youtube video of Jimmy at his first jazz festival, aged 12, very moving. 


The next youtube clip shows a more mature musician, but he still can’t have been very old when it was filmed.  Clearly an astonishingly virtuoso performer.

I would like to join Jon Larsen in his hope, which he expresses like this:

"For more than a decade we were like brothers in arms, but now I can only hope for a miracle – that one day my little brother will return to planet Earth and continue his magic."

No comments: